This whole summer has been an exercise in patience and restraint. We made it through each challenge. I even tried new experiences with the kids: going to Jumping Jacks ALONE, hello!I did my best to make it through long absences of my husband due to Scout camp and a 9 day hike to Mt Whitney.
Through it all the bright beacon of relief was on the horizon. School would eventually start and I would have a certain number of hours alone at home to recover. The date approached and without a resolution of an IEP for my youngest, I knew I was doomed for heartache.
First day of school came and went and we are still at home with Jr.. Granted he does have at least one session of therapy per day and that is seriously a blessing.But that still isn't enough. The noise, mess, disasters, tantrums all add up.
Since I could feel the ends of my hair starting to burn I knew that it was time to take action. Something drastic needed to happen and it needed to happen now.
My biggest clue that there was a problem was I had the feeling that I needed to run away. I wanted a week off without managing anyone. One week of nothing to do or say, nothing to plan or prepare, nothing to cook or throw away. Man I wish I could go to surf camp in Hawaii for a week. That would seriously heal me.
The best I could manage was a day away at Glen Ivy. A full day off with nothing to do.
It started out great. I found my lounge chair in the shade next to the waterfall.
Stuck in my earplugs, sat down and exhaled.
I slept and woke myself up with my snoring- classy!
I bought over-priced food and drink.
I read through to the end of a book with little interruption other than potty breaks! (When does that ever happen)?
It felt great.
Still have a ways to go. Morning breakfast routine is new and great. Evening shower and tooth brushing is better. Still struggling to squeeze in workouts and enough exercise for the dog.
I must admit, we are making progress. Still need to do more. I can feel the "crazy" nipping at my heels.
Seacrest out.
2 comments:
Thanks for helping me add you back to my blogroll. I am dangerous with a delete key.
The minivacation is a good start. I say start because you owe yourself a heap more than a day off.
As for the IEP, just keep repeating: FAPE. It's a nice four letter word, I promise. Your son has the legal right to a F-ree and A-ppropriate P-ublic E-ducation. Tell the school they are breaking the law, particularly if they have missed federally-mandated deadlines for the IEP.
I hear you. Got the word today that they are drafting the new contract. Progress is slow but it is going our way. I'm happy for that. I'm just exhausted of having my boy at home. Thanks for the support!
Post a Comment