Even though we have had a series of great visits, I still get anxiety about going over to the house. Case in point. We had had a series of unexpected events that made us miss our regular visit night. Spencer's HDMI cable was broken and it needed to be replaced. I was going to be working a shift that ended near evening and had brought the cable in case there was time to stop by.
This is what happens in my head.
The boys are already upset with me because we missed their regular night. I don't have time to put in a full visit tonight. If I go to the house, the boys will get agitated because we won't be leaving. I really don't want to see them upset and so I will call the house and have someone come out to the curb to pick up the cable. Guy and I will be able to stop by later and have a proper visit.
I called the house to let them know about my plan and then it takes me a good 20 minutes to wind my way cross town to them. There is enough time to imagine 40 different scenarios in my head while I am driving and by the time I reached the house I had changed my mind.
I was just going to go into the house.
I was going to rip that band aide off and just take my lumps.
Because, I really wanted to see my boys. I missed them, I wanted to hug and squeeze them and make that connection.
So, at the risk of enduring a tantrum, I did it.
Spence took one look at the HDMI cable and knew his salvation had arrived. He was tired of "sharing" Tyler's computer for the last three days.
What had happened was that the little metal thingy on the end of the cable had broken off on his macmini. The staff had gotten it off with pliers but when I sat down at the computer, Spence had already stuck it back on "hoping" to fix it and make his monitor work again. All that was left to do was to reboot the computer but his password wasn't working. It took some tinkering but I figured out that the "c" button wasn't working on his waterproof keyboard!! You can't type...s..p..e..n..c...e...r.....without that darn "c" button.
In a flash of inspiration we grabbed the only other keyboard in the joint. Tyler's computer login is....t....y....l....e....r. Problem solved. Spence was over the moon with delight. I was hugging and squeezing him and he was only tolerating it. His true love had a glowing screen once again. Ah, my work was done.
Ty was relieved to have his room back and was still enjoying the toys we had gotten for him last week!!!!! It is a Christmas miracle that they have lasted this long!!!
I left the house jubilant. I left the house victorious. I left the house tantrum free. I'm glad I listened to my inspiration. I'm glad I had the strength to face that challenge.
No comments:
Post a Comment