It can be grueling doing classroom observations.
You see your kid in action. You see the excesses and the deficits. You
REALLY get to see how much your kid is lagging behind his peers.
Spence is in a specialized autism classroom this year. There are only a handful of kids and it is working soooo much better than a regular SDC classroom where you find a motley mix of disabilities and a more lax structure.
We are still ironing out the kinks in his behavioral plan. Spence requires a higher level of consistency with his outbursts and non-compliant behaviors.
(personally, I think he has some anxiety/OCD related issues that takes his autism to a more interesting level) Cue...the meds?
Until now, I have been letting the two competing factions: the school team and the independent service provider, coordinate and communicate without me.
This has brought a certain amount of success and also friction.
Parent observation is a must. I avoid it like the plague. It is hard to suck it up and go watch. Having ASD ( autism STRESS disorder...my own self diagnosis), makes me allergic to classrooms.
I have to say that the best thing that happened from getting my rear out there is that I could see that I have, in fact, done a great job for my kiddos. All of our hard work has paid off. My kid is able to participate in his classroom and is actually excelling in some activities. For the most part, people enjoy his company there.
And the staff got to see me, hear my expertise and understand that 11 years of working in ABA rubs off on a girl. I really know what I'm talking about.
I think my new rule is that I'll get into the classroom at least once a month from now on. I'll just have to make myself do it. That and see if I can get a prescription for Valium for the day before and two days after.
Baby steps into the elevator.

1 comment:
Hi Danna,
I'm a physician and former faculty member at Harvard and Stanford Medical Schools. I discovered your blog while looking for the best health writers on the web. I reviewed your posts, and think your writing would be a great addition to the Autism & Autism Spectrum Community on Wellsphere, a top 5 health website that has nearly 5 million visitors monthly. If you would like to learn more about how you can join our Health Blogger Network, republish your blog posts and be featured on the Wellsphere platform, just drop me an email at dr.rutledge@wellsphere.com.
Cheers,
Geoff
Post a Comment