OK so the verdict is in. The Grand High Pooh-Bah has rejected our request for residential placement in spite of the efforts of the 2 people advocating for us. From the second hand account of the meeting from my case worker, who was still steaming from the encounter, I learned that things didn't go as planned.
Evidently we were immediately branded as lazy parents who were just interested in dumping our children. ( I could hear the ends of our fearless case worker's hair follicles sizzling with contempt when she explained this!!).
The judgement hurt but I can see the point. I'm sure there are parents who dump their kids into the lap of the state and walk away. Not sure why that matters since the kids are almost already being neglected. Some people are not equipped to be advocates and I'm fine with that.
The real sting is that this decision is also sending a message to me. The message is that the quality of my life and that of every member of my family doesn't have the same value as others. I'm sure the Pooh-Bah isn't living with two autistic children at home right now.
The good news is that the people who have been observing our family for the last 6 years, who have seen EVERYTHING that we have done to improve the quality of life for these boys- they are in our court.
Our next strategy is to go back, request again and have more evidence of why our situation isn't working. We are going to video tape and a supervisor is going to come spend some time in our house.
Can you see the crazy here??? I have to PROVE that I don't have what it takes to take the best care of my boys right now!!! THIS.....is going to be fun!
(I only wish I could have had the camera on this afternoon! Spence was testing the aerodynamics of Cinnamon Sugar Life Cereal by throwing handfuls of it into the air conditioning unit when it was on. They actually can go pretty far!)
6 comments:
Who exactly has to approve it? Someone else paying for it?
I'm sooo sorry Danna! That is so frustrating. I really hope it will eventually work out well for you.
The local Regional Center monitors all group homes and residential facilities. In order to place your child you have to have a recommendation from the Regional Center. This is a logistical hoop that all families have to jump through.
Yes, I believe it. Sometimes this happens--and sometimes it doesn't. Keep fighting for what you "need" for your kids. I will keep reading for updates!
ah! i wish i could help. hang in there tiger : )
btw, i keep trying to call you from mom's house. call me!
Dang, I hope you guys find an answer.
Post a Comment