Mother's Day is a tricky one for me. It kind of caught me off guard this year.
Last week was the perfect storm. My monthly dragon came to visit. I was suffering from a hideous cold graciously given to me by my husband. I've gone back to full time employment working for Lancome at Macy's and that involves standing for eight hours a day. Something I'm not used to. Plus the kicker is that we started our "Free Gift With Purchase" on Thursday. INSANE numbers of ladies ponying up to the counter to shop.
I'm a little fried right now. So Sunday ended up being a little off kilter. Guy and DJ surprised me with breakfast and a lovely gift. I was really speechless.
I wanted to play hooky from church and take the boys out for the day but I didn't plan ahead to get a substitute for my class. Next year..
That evening my cousin Caleb came over for one last visit. He is moving across the country to live near his son. We had a great time going through family photos and talking. He will be missed and I'm really glad we had a chance to get better acquainted. Huge shout out.
But I ended up not calling my mother that day. I haven't done that ever. Even when I was on my mission in Argentina, I called her from a pay phone. And we ended up not seeing the boys on Sunday either. Terribly bittersweet.
Last night was our visit and when we took the boys back home I needed more time. The boys were really relaxed after our long ride looking for the right dessert experience. I helped them get into their pajamas. I tucked them into bed. I got to stroke their hair and watch their eyes get sleepy. They repeated my words. when I prompted them to say..."goodnight....I love you".
Then it was a long drive home.

No comments:
Post a Comment