Saturday, March 8, 2014

why do I always expect a new reaction?

Now that life is getting back to normal...meaning...I have time to do more than eat, sleep and drive to work.  I took the chance to grab Spence after work on Wednesday.

I haven't seen him for three weeks. (The agony of going through that is worth a post alone)

Driving the twisty, windy road up to his house I was optimistic and hopeful that this would be a good trip together. For some strange reason...I always expect Spence to be overjoyed to see me.

As usual...no reaction. It takes a minute to sign the paperwork and he stood patiently waiting and then  we ran out the door.

Expoecting to hear your kiddo say..."Hi Mom"! is just hard wired into everyone's brain. And every single time I have to prompt him...He's dashing into the back seat and I say.."Hey Spence....some here...give me a hug".

Bless his heart... he is compliant and his hugs get stronger every week. Once he has done his duty the goal is to get in the car and leave.

My choice was to wash my minivan. We have those groovy car spas that are automatic and give you free vaccums. I roll back the moon roof so we both can enjoy all the soapy swishy.
He plugs his ears and enjoys the ride. I pull into the spot for the free vacuums and get to work removing the weekly debris of wrappers...reciepts....apple cores and junk. (yes. I am a messy person but I am making an effort).

I hand easy to throw away junk to Spence and point to the garbage cans and he makes his way over there still plugging his ears. We purchase some extra cleaning supplies with the tokens and he pushes the buttons I select for him while I chatter on about our choices. Like a good sport he takes the vaccum and plays at cleaning the carpet while I work only slightly harder to do my part.

The final step is the food and he eats his dinner while I drive all the way back to his house.

We had a good "visit".....It is always more relaxing to have the boys one on one.
I dropped him off and drove away thinking about his lack of response and why I still looked for it.
I was so glad that I had taken him out by myself. There was a ton of housework to be done. Every room really was a shambles but I resisted the urge to clean first and visit later. Glad I did.

No comments: