this process of sending DJ off on his two year mission has been curiously pleasant. I've been checking in with my feelings and wondering where is my upset. This transition has had none of the anticipated weeping, wailing and knashing of teeth I had heard about from seasoned sources. My only concern, seriously, has been whether or not DJ could figure out how to peel out of bed at 6 am like he is supposed to do.
Was I nervous at our parting..a little. Did I feel overwhelmed with emotion....no. I was proud, excited and just a little worried.
And then it was over. I do catch myself looking at Guy's face. I'm checking for signs of stress. We've both had little crinkles in our foreheads when we remembered little things about our kiddo. But for the most part.....I am so happy. Really, truly happy and it was bugging me that I wasn't more upset.
The first explanation was obvious. I had served myself. I was so excited to go and I remembered how much fun it was to be serving. I loved, loved, LOVED the MTC, (Missionary Training Center). So obviously I was thrilled for DJ to have a taste of it too.
The second came to me last night. This transition was so sweet because our last two have been so incredibly painful. One more silver lining found thanks to the difficult placement dicisions we had to make.
Maybe that is an extra good thing because I've seen the effects of super worried parents on their missionary kiddos. Not pretty. Not helpful. You are already struggling as a missionary to figure it out...worrying about your parents' ability to cope drains your confidence and focus even more.
I hate that I even had this thought but THAT song came to my mind: "Let It Go".
So here I am...on Sunday morning in an empty house with dog and a cat. My husband is in his church meeting and I'm thinking about the most comfortable thing to put on for my Sabbath day. I have three boys in three places. Two of them are lazily waking up, eating and lounging around for the day. One just finished breakfast and is already in hour two of a whole day of meetings surrounded by thousands of like minded missionaries in training. He is possibly seeing people he knows...he is making new friends and I'm sure he is feeling a connection and love for the Saviour and the Gospel of Jesus Christ that he never knew was possible.
HOw is that not the greatest?
Besides....I have him here with me every day....life size!
DJ was a sneaky snake and had this made for Mother's Day. BEST PRESENT EVER.
No comments:
Post a Comment