Monday, May 26, 2014

up and out...AKA..."holy cow, did that just happen?"

This last week was the biggest and most intense I have had in forever. A lousy sentence, I know, but I am having trouble putting my experience into words.

here we go.

We started Saturday evening with an open house. Mom and Dad drove down as well as my baby sister Annie and her family. It was a fun mess of friends, food and last minute goodbyes.

Sunday was Mother's Day and at church DJ spoke during sacrament meeting.
DJ surprised me with the best present ever! He sneakily made me THIS:
 I scooted down to Riverside and picked up the boys and their ipads. They were fantastic during the meeting. DJ was writing his talk up until the last minute. Nothing kills your spiritual Sabbath buzz like blind rage and worry. But I switch into Zen mode and caught the true spirit of the moment....Good thing because it was a lovely service and it was a special moment for Guy and I to have the boys sitting peacefully between us while we held hands behind their shoulders.

I got to have a sweet moment of reflection. Our little family has been beaten up and battered by this epic struggle and it was more than a little sweet to see the fruits of our labors. Our boys are safe and sound...they are content and in good schools. DJ is ready mentally, physically and spiritually to serve and give two years to the Lord.

For the rest of Sunday we enjoyed watching the kids play. Annie and Ty waited to the very last minute to leave certainly inspired by all four of them pounding on the patio door and chanting together.."we want to stay...we want to stay...."!!! It was the most adorable thing.

"WE WANT TO STAY"!

Monday rolled around and the knot in my stomach was growing. This kiddo was going to be leaving and it was so important that he had his equipment. Mom and Dad stuck around because DJ was going to be Officially made a missionary by the Stake President that evening. Last minute visits from friends...last minute shopping and then off to the Stake Center. The grandparents being there for his ordination was so meaningful for me. It seemed just right to have his best friend present as well.
our traditional group hug

It was a loong night of packing and a quick math check with the bathroom scale let us know that everything was locked and loaded.

Tuesday morning and we are in full on go mode. A whole day of hurry up and stand in line. Thanks to me...we made our connecting flight from Oakland to Salt Lake.
the "Chief" 









memorizing the missionary handbook


Now the fun part was starting.


Super Sarah!
Salt Lake Temple where it all began


We met up with Guy's sisters and mom and Super Auntie Sarah and caught a temple session together. It was a chance to show DJ and Sarah where we were married and the spot where chatted on one of our first dates. Minds were blown. The time has gone by so quickly. Now on to dinner with more family and birthday ice cream for Guy. 

Wednesday morning was breakfast at the Black Bear and then a quick mosey down the 15 to Provo. Luckily we had Grandma Johnson with us. 
She wasn't able to come down to the farewell so having her there for the handoff made it extra special. It has been a real challenge to juggle both families in our circumstances. We are in California...My family is in Nevada and back east. Guy's family is all up in Utah. We all need each other. 
one quick moment to respect the "U"
Dad's watch
our best work
There was enough time for ice cream and then we went for it. You pull up to the curb and two Elders grab your bags...they ask for any keys or a phone and wait for you to say goodbye. We hug, we kiss, and then we let go. It was awesome. 
LATER!
Honestly I was bracing myself  because i didn't want to feel sad. I caught myself hugging DJ every so often over the last few days. I had had a weepy moment or two at work when I explained what was going to happen. I reached back for his hand in the car and on the airplane. Just little things. But when the moment came....all I felt was excitement. I was happy, proud and excited. 

I knew what his day would bring. I knew how cool it was going to be hanging out in the MTC. It really is sublime. 

So we left the kiddo and went over to the art museum on campus. We took some time to enjoy the Sacred Gifts installation and it was so worth it. 

There wasn't anything left to do except hug Sarah after she got out of school...drive up to see Guy's brother Ben and hop on the plane home. I kept checking Guy's face to see how he was doing. We both kept shaking our heads. We did it. We let him go and it was amazing.  





No comments: