Saturday, June 28, 2014

finding things in a dream....

I do have a super power. It has served me well for many years. A number of times this skill has brought surprise and delight to myself, my husband and my family.

I find things.

We all know that niggling, unsettling feeling when something important to us has been misplaced. I hate it as much as the next person. And it is upsetting because the moment we find what was lost our bodies are filled with intense relief.

Now with this power has come great responsibility and I have felt exploited on a number of occasions. I hear those magic words..."honey...have you seen this?"and I resist the temptation  to just say "no".

Last night I had a dream about finding my cellphone that had been dropped into a lake. I was traveling on a ferry across a lake. For some reason my cellphone was in my hand during the crossing and I was standing at the edge of the boat. We were approaching the dock and it was obvious that the water was getting more shallow.

In an instant, the phone was gone into murky water and the horror of losing all of my photos that were stored on it set in. Thinking about it now, I should have relaxed because just the other day, I had transferred  all of them onto my computer. But of course I would have had to replace the phone and I felt vulnerable.

After the ferry left we waded into the water and tried to feel with our feet for the phone. In a minute the water pulled back like the tide. We had finished one pass out and back. I knew I couldn't give up and set out again. All the way out past where I had dropped the phone. I found myself counting pacifiers on tethers. It was ironic to notice them all lying there because someone had forgotten to attach the tethers.

I came up on some couch cushions on the ground? I felt prompted to check in between them and voila! There was the phone.

Did I mention that we found other phones as well?

It was so odd. I haven't dreamt about finding things ever before. It was lovely to feel victorious.

The night ended with a dream of strength and contentment. Super way better than that awful one about being naked in public or the one where I keep missing the plane to Buenos Aires.

No comments: