Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Period/Birthday/Moving to Knoxville.....the perfect storm

I'm sitting in my living room feeling the beginning feels of an angry uterus. Shark week is set to start in 10 minutes. I'm turning 50 in two days. My husband is out of town and we are moving Saturday to Knoxville Tennessee.

It is the perfect ending to a perfectly horrible summer of unemployment and my first quarter of graduate school.

We escaped a toxic work environment in Columbus last year and relocated to Orlando Florida for a great job opportunity. Six weeks into it, Guy's boss quit and Guy was promoted to be division president delivering 1200 homes for one of the largest builders in the world. It was an incredible opportunity and Guy was blessed to have a great team. Despite turning the boat around and making wonderful progress, the executive decision was made to merge Guy's division with the southern division and Guy would become the Division Manager to the other more experienced DP. Regular encouragement and reassurances were made to Guy about having a place for him but the day after the quarter ended, his new boss fired him.

This last year was intense to say the very least. Guy was working 80 hour weeks. We spent every Saturday and Sunday driving all 14 communities to double-check progress and stay connected to the sales staff. I likened it to flying the Kestle Run in 12 Parceks....every.....damn.....day. Han Solo...eat your heart out.

So, the day after Guy got fired, we went golfing and enjoyed a lazy day together. The charm wore off in 24 hours and Guy transitioned into, "my job right now is to get a job" mode. I was already in a heightened state of nervous because I was starting the first quarter of graduate school pursuing my dream of becoming a counselor. Now, certainty about our future has evaporated and I've gone from being alone most of the day to having Guy hovering every ....damn...day.

The roller coaster of finding employment was intense and exhausting but it ended very quickly with an offer for working in Knoxville Tennessee. Boom....moving within three weeks.

Guy has already started working at the headquarters in Nashville. They take two weeks to train and get him up to speed. I'll see him Friday night when he flies in. Saturday morning we drive the nine hours up to our new home.

Ok. Gratitude Corner here. The company is packing and moving us. I have very little to do. I'll hose down the apartment real quick and say goodbye to the management.

This apartment has been the most beautiful view and comfortable living. We have had the BEST apartment unit in the whole facility. I will never forget how good it made me feel to go out on my balcony and fill up my senses with gorgeous palm trees and the beautiful pool and fountains. Living in the horror of humidity that is Florida was slightly eased by this visual feast.


So. Away we go.






































No comments: