I'm a member of the Autism Doubles Club. We are in recovery from transitioning our two youngest into a group home. This is our journey.
Sunday, November 15, 2009
at number 11
Spence came to us under very stressful circumstances. We were already aware of Tyler's deficits. A preliminary diagnosis of PDD was on the table but we were still trying our best to ignore it.
I was shuttling Ty into Vegas in a borrowed car to take him to a county preschool designed for delayed children.
Spence was born and within two weeks I was nursing him while sitting across from Bryna Siegel who was telling me that our 3 year old Tyler had severe autism.
I nursed him through our first IEP with Clark County School District when we lobbied to get our home workshop services funded for Ty.
Ever since he arrived it has been non-stop autism with his big brother.
Once we found out Spencer's autism that just made everything more interesting. It has been a crazy 11 years.
I'm so glad we have our boy. He is a handful and a half, but he is ours.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I'm sorry, but did you just say that Bryna Siegel (my imaginary BFF who won't give me the time of day and who wrote the best autism book evah) personally diagnosed your son's autism? *faints*
Happy #11!
Yes she did. The Vegas FEAT group flew her in for a diagnosis junket. We turned my friends office into a diagnostics studio and the parents and children were lined up for two days.
Diagnostics skills were pretty dicey back in '98. We brought in the big guns. aka Bryna. so that we could all be locked and loaded for our IEPs. She was a gem.
happy b-day spence!
Post a Comment