Sunday, November 29, 2009

Barney the wonder drug.....



Over the course of time we have discovered the limited range of interests that Tyler holds. He has a fascination and love of familiar movies.

This last week we took a chance and did what I said I WASN'T going to do again....take him to my parents' house again.

There were several things that worked well.

He slept this time. No more 3 am shenanigans with the water hose. He ate. I got him to eat a few items of protein to balance out his plethora of whipped cream filled chocolate dipped sugar cones/cornucopias that were on the dinner table. He used the potty appropriately and didn't soak through his makeshift bed.

Good job!!

And the best part was that he was glued to the tv in the back room stimming on VERY old Barney the Dinosaur VHS tapes. I let him do it. I ENCOURAGED it. It is as close as I was going to get to appropriate play for those two days. And while he was doing it...it was the closest I would get to peaceful interaction with my family.

But, of course, all good things must come to an end. And we had to leave.

Now the degree of intensity with which he enjoyed those tapes was the same level of WITHDRAWAL symptoms. BAD BAD BAD.

Thank GOODNESS there was heavy traffic on the way home and we could prolong our exposure to his agony. Four hours turned into six.

But I was prepared. I had my earplugs....my soothing lute music and church hymns playing to lull him into tranquility . Last, but certainly not least...I had my trusty nerves of steel and a rested mind. It definitely helped that I had had almost four days off with out him to prepare for the ordeal.

Unfortunately the agony wasn't over. Last night was tough and my only weapon was exhaustion. So, I kept him awake until 11. Sunday morning was even worse.

He was feeling the full effects of his Barney detox and it was mean. Poor little guy.

I thought he was attached to my parent's house but it wasn't that. It was that purple little fellow in the spongy suit and the stupid songs.

If only there were a pill.

4 comments:

Mary J said...

There is a pill. It's called prozac, maxiumum possible milligrams. Just for road trips, of course. What a weekend! BTW, that program for picture collages is at http://picasa.google.com/. It was great to see you last Sunday!

mama edge said...

Barney is evil. I remember the pull he had on my kids for years, and I wish I could tell you what happened to turn them away from his noxious influence. Good luck on the detox.

Annie Leavitt said...

sorry charlie : (

Rena said...

I was so happy when my daughter FINALLY said Barney was "boring." She'd been watching that damn dinosaur for 8 years!

Now she will watch Sponge Bob all day. When she's in a bad mood and I'm fed up, I pop in a DVD and we both sing along. "Who lives in a pineapple under the sea..."