Tuesday, December 15, 2009

to sleep..perchance to dream....



Ah....the unrelenting sleep issues. Granted. I KNOW that the sleep issues I deal with pale in comparison with others. But it is all relative and when Tyler is struggling to sleep/fall asleep/wake up....it all takes its emotional toll.

Sometimes, no matter what you do or how you prepare, it is tough for Ty to fall asleep.(Spence does not have this problem...in fact he will put himself to bed every night without fail...it's magical). I have my particular ways to prepare when I know we are going to have a rough night.

1. Make sure all the computers are logged out so Ty won't be tempted by seeing the gateway to "Toy Story" and "Winnie the Pooh". (I also make sure he watches me log them out so he KNOWS they are off limits)

2. Make sure all the doors/windows/pantry are locked.

3. Make sure my bedroom door is unlocked. (Ty always peeks in my room when he tries to sneak out of bed. The peeking ALWAYS wakes me up. I have bionic ears and even earplugs can't stop me from sensing even a spider barking downstairs).

4. Set my brain for "listening" mode.

5. resign myself to losing some sleep and needing a nap the next day.

That's it.
Then I can expect Ty to get out of bed three or four times. All I have to do is tell him "no"...and redirect him back to bed and tuck him back in. Sometimes he gets up every half hour and sometimes it is an hour in between visits.

The morning after, I finally see what he did before falling asleep. I'll find his window in his room open and sometimes I find him on the floor. He didn't fall out of bed...he put himself there.
He can be tough to wake up. Not even the dog can persuade him to play!

3 comments:

mama edge said...

Are you sure that's not my son, Taz, under there? She sleeps exactly like that, which has been unfortunate given his ongoing bedwetting (or should I say, "carpetwetting") problem. On the other hand, I do not get awakened every night. That must be SO hard for you. Do you ever get a night off, maybe sleep in the guest room and let someone else do the night shift?

Danna Banana said...

Hubby and I do take turns. Thankfully it doesn't happen every night.
Gotcha on the carpet thing.
I did hear that using a steam cleaner works wonders. Like those Shark steamers.
Good luck.

Rena said...

sleep problems are so hard to deal with. Queen Teen tends to wake up several times a night. She also used to sleep walk, but thankfully has outgrown that. Now that she's older, I don't always have to get up when I hear her, but I too have bionic ears so any time she wiggles I'm alert. Luckily for her the sleep loss doesn't bother her too much, but it kills me. After a few days of no sleep I'm a zombie, but she's still smiling. Unless it's a REALLY bad night. Then by 3:00 pm she's GRUMPY