Thursday, September 20, 2012

the IEP that could do no wrong......

I have had a few magical IEPs in my time. Our very first one was epic. I had Spencer, the newborn, in his little car seat with us. I think I even nursed him during the meeting for dramatic effect. The meeting was an epic clash of the titans with the director of Special Education trying to stonewall us into another meeting and my Rottweiller of an advocate saying, " come on...you know you can make a phone call, lets just take a break for a minute". We walked away with full funding for our home ABA program.

Second Epic IEP was a tri-annual. The Tri happens every....THREE...years. That's when a school psych tests your child to make sure they still have autism. They also try to minimize your services because your child is doing so well. It is also helpful because the tests try so measure cognitive abilities. Which is hilarious when your child is non verbal and their receptive language stinks to all get out. But I digress. The fact of the matter was that we were UBER prepared with 14 fantastic, specific IEP goals that rocked the house. We were on fire and we got out of the IEP in 45 minutes. 45 freaking minutes. In my mind that is the world record.

Yesterday is going into the books. Everything is going well for Spence. His second year in middle school and the pieces are in place. The extra aide we put in the classroom is so helpful. We even said the phrase...if it isn't broken, don't fix it. Spence really knows the schedule and what is expected all day long. Plus the Klonopin is making a huge difference.

Everybody was happy. Everyone is seeing progress. We are going to add in an Assistive Technology assessment for the iPad's language programs. Fingers crossed.

No comments: