I've moved enough to know that it takes nine months until your new town stops sucking. This Florida transition really kicked my arse. I am dang adaptable, I'm flexible, I'm a genuinely pretty cheerful human most of the time. I fully expected that moving to Florida would be challenging....but I had no idea the level of suckitude that was coming my way.
It reminded me of when I moved in December of my senior year of High School. Ah, it was horrible.
Guy has been insanely busy with his work this whole time which gives him a strong sense of community and some serious focus. I'm very grateful for that. I have been fending for myself and feeling all the feels very organically. Bit by bit, the little drops of familiarity add up until you stop feeling like a complete alien. It is such an odd process.
I do feel a sense of accomplishment for having navigated it with my eyes open. And that is the thing. I wasn't distracted by having kids in the house, a job to run to, nothing critical other than to create some kind of home life for us two vagabonds.
We started out in the little 800 square foot apartment which felt exactly like we were still in college. December rolled around and the perfect two- bedroom opened up. We jumped on that and now we are perfectly comfortable with room for the piano and a lovely balcony facing the pool. The two bathrooms are magical because I have my kingdom and Guy has his own.
Guy rides his Peloton every single day. He has lost 42 pounds thanks to sleep, exercise, no more caffeine, and tons of good veggies from me. He's doing everything I've been nagging him about for the last 20 years. Don't think that my nagging flipped the switch because it didn't. He found out all on his lonesome.
I'm a proper fitness person too. My exercise is getting me closer and closer to my fighting weight and health too. I'm five months out from my 50th birthday and at the very least I want to be in my best shape ever.
The progression towards feeling at home starts when you figure out the roads. Fortunately, Orlando is under deep construction so freeway driving is terrifyingly difficult. The added stress doesn't impact your feelings at all. Your grocery routine starts to fall into place. You start to recognize people in your fitness classes. I was asked to teach Early Morning Seminary so my mornings became regimented and predictable, albeit stressful.
Every weekend we have been on the road driving through all the communities under construction and Guy checks to see which homes are going to be ready for closings. It has been helpful to do that together since Guy's long office hours keep us apart.
No comments:
Post a Comment