Wednesday, June 30, 2010

playtime at the dentist.......


Today was Spencer's first dental checkup at his new dental office. Since his fabulous dentist, who I really loved, stopped taking Medical, the switch had to be made.

Dr. Nichols was helping me acclimate the boys to regular checkups. It was slow work. But he was such a positive person it was worth it to see every step forward. Plus he was GREAT with the kids. He did a fabulous job during each appointment and you felt like he was genuinely interested in each child. He wanted the boys to get used to the dental process and learn to tolerate checkups, x-rays and cleanings. Who does that??

Now we move to the new facility.

They do light sedation for every appointment. That way the kids/adults get cleanings twice a year, all their x-rays and a comprehensive checkup. So you have to make a trade. And for my little guys, they really need regular cleanings and that wasn't happening at Dr. Nichol's office.

Spence's appointment was scheduled at 8 and we got called back at 9:30.

So what did we do??? We....played. Since we had no idea that we would be waiting that long, I hadn't brought any novel toys to distract him. So I had to be the toy.

We tickled, we squeezed, we teased him with silly songs, we took a walk, we tried to get him to look at Martha Stewart Living magazine. I even brought out my hand lotion and massaged his hands and arms. Oh, and don't forget the bathroom breaks.

I have to admit that it was a lovely time. And then we were done. We packed him up into the van woozy and disoriented and ready to sleep off his hangover.

Kudos to his caregivers for a cavity-free diagnosis!

No comments: