Spencer's annual IEP is coming up and I really needed to get over to his classroom beforehand. He has a new teacher...(his teacher passed away from breast cancer last year...bless her talented soul)....and a new classroom.
I have been dreading the visit and the knee surgery has helped me avoid it altogether.
Today was the day and fortunately..Guy was able to go with me.
I should probably point out the reasons for my anxiety.
1. I dread the possibility that Spence would tantrum once he figures out that we wouldn't be taking him away to get some In-N-Out.
2. I'm still full of emotion from the past 12 years of school visits and IEPs. It has not been a fun ride at all.
3. I dread finding out that something drastic has to be done, such as changing classrooms or demanding some special services.
4. Sheer habit.
5. I anticipate disappointment/judgement from the teachers and aides because of the home school sitch.
6. I blame myself for not having already spent hours in the classroom...etc.
7. Absolute terror of the unknown.
Over breakfast, my genius husband reminded me to anticipate one more thing....how good it will feel after the visit is over.
With that thought in mind, I started to consciously visualize a good outcome. I forced myself to override the negative thoughts with new ideas. And for the most part, it worked.
Spence did say..."no" when he saw us heading for the door, as I knew he would. But I knew that in a few minutes, it would be lunch time and he would be happily distracted.
It was a great visit.
Mission Accomplished.
No comments:
Post a Comment