one aging wanna be hipster looking for the perfect crib. I wish I was a hipster. But my sense of style isn't very remarkable. My library, on the other hand, is impressive. So to rephrase..one aging pseudo librarian/collector of books and postcards...started to search for a new smaller home in which to put said collection.
Ever since our boy left on his mission two months ago, Guy and I have been rattling around in our barn with only the cat and dog for company. we have been fantasizing about living near the boys for years now. There were just so many other things that needed to happen first. High School for DJ. Mission prep for DJ. And getting him up and out. Mission accomplished. Our boy is out in Tucson working hard and serving with all his might. Now it is time to leave.
We had the chance to rent any place we wanted. The idea, of course, to be within spitting distance of the boys' houses and closer to work. So away we went.
The original fantasy was to indulge in urban living. I wanted something cute, quirky and near the historical neighborhoods of Riverside. And as luck would have it the perfect spot for us was urbane and almost identical to our current circumstance. No quirky house. No close proximity to a Whole Foods or organic farmer's market. So much for breaking free. We will be able to bike everywhere and there is a park one block away. I'm pretty happy about that. I don't get along with hills. But for the most part we are just shifting geography and living in an identical suburban neighborhood. Sigh.
The location is excellent. I'm just 2 miles from work. We will be 15 minutes from the boys' house. WE WILL BE 15 MINUTES FROM THE BOYS' HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!! Did I get enough exclamation points there?
So. After 13 years in Highland, almost 2 months to the day, a huge chapter of our lives will come to a close. I can't even think about what we have been through here. So much of it I don't want to remember.
I have the same feelings about our four years that we were in Overton, NV.
But the reality is that all 17 of those years have been important to get us to where we are today. They all matter. They were all needed.
No comments:
Post a Comment