Monday, August 4, 2014

piano-palooza......

What do you get when two wards share four piano players and three of them are on vacation? About five hours sitting on a wooden bench.

Music is such an important part of growing closer to God. I've been at it since my first Christmas organ solo at age 9.

In our little tiny branch in Pennsylvania, we met in a house and the garage was the primary room. I was 11 when I started cracking away on that broken down piano. Broken tops on the keys and some fantastically twangy notes. It was awesome training for sight reading. For our sacrament meeting, we met in the basement. It was and "L" shaped room and the piano sat against the wall in the crook of the "L". My feet couldn't reach the floor so I had to scoot all the way to the edge of the bench. Since I couldn't see over the top of the piano, I had to peek at the chorister every so often and then listen to people singing and try to split the difference between the two when I played.

Thus began my illustrious career as choir pianist...primary pianist...soloist.....special musical number and choir accompanist....sacrament meeting organist...the works.

I've played in every ward we've been in. But piano-palooza was the most intense I've have in a while. Organist for the first hour in the other ward, two hours of primary for the little ones and then organist for our ward. Add in a little choir practice after church and we have a full day.

It was fun...it was great...it is my life.
my view of the kiddos

the command center....nobody starts to speak until I'm ready to stop playing! he he !

I feels with my tootsies for the occasional pedal to bring that extra oomph  to the hymn

No comments: