Monday, March 29, 2010

when YOU are the comparison.........

Someone paid me a compliment today.

They told me that they really admired my stamina and persistence. That they looked to me as an example whenever they start feeling like life is getting a little too tough.

I was very touched by what they meant to say.

and then an hour or two later....it slooooowly dawned on me.

waaaaaaaait a minute. waaaait for it.

When their life sucks.....they think of me and what I am going through.

The magnitude of suckiness in my life helps to alleviate their pain and put their life in perspective. And by suckiness....I mean the word challenging.

Now, seriously. I KNOW that what they were meaning to say. This person is someone who I respect and admire and I sincerely appreciate the sentiment. And of COURSE what they were saying is that Guy and I work HARD to take care of our kids. We do. We do. We do. I am glad that people can look at me and appreciate what I have learned. That they can see that it is possible to learn how to manage to do very difficult things. It's just a shock to be reminded over and over again that you live outside of the norm.

And I hope that you don't find me childish for putting such a negative spin on something that was clearly a compliment.

But the reality is still there. Wow.

Yay...my life and how I live it can make a positive impact on others. Yuck...it is still reaaaaaally insanely/extraordinarily and overwhelmingly difficult. Not a complaint. Just an observation.

2 comments:

Annie Leavitt said...

they are complimenting you on your REACTION to your adversity. not your adversity in and of itself.

read elder uchtdorf's talk from YW conference on saturday. SO GOOD.

Unknown said...

I know exactly what you mean about these kind of "compliments". I get them all the time.
One of my personal faves was when a relative said my husband was a saint for marrying me and taking on my 2 kids with autism. That made me feel like a charity case!

I try to remember, as you do, that they think they are genuinely saying something helpful and caring.