Wednesday, August 4, 2010

my leg.....


I am going to have surgery on my right knee sometime in the next month.

This is a surgery that was a long time coming.

Waaaaaaay back when I was a senior in high school, I tore my ACL skiing. The doctor chose not to repair it but to have me go through physical therapy. And for the most part..my knee held for 23 years.

I did a lot of running and even was able to complete a half marathon but I started having problems after that. Two years ago I ran almost every day on our trip to Norway and the problems were still nagging at me. Eventually I had to give up running because I couldn't figure out what was wrong. No matter how carefully i ran or how religiously I stretched I couldn't get rid of the pain and stiffness.

Major downer since running was a huge source of relief for my stress and anxiety. Even a session with physical therapy didn't help. X-rays never showed arthritis or any broken bones.

Cue....my fall in April. Turns out the sprain in April was a little more than that. I couldn't figure out why my knee would lock up and not be able to straighten. Hmmmm.

The good doctors took an MRI last week and the results are finally in.....torn ACL and a torn Meniscus.

Here are the cool videos showing what they are going to do: http://vimeo.com/4689862

http://vimeo.com/2754127

They will take a tendon from my leg and make a new ACL and TRY to repair the meniscus. At the very least...I will be on crutches for 3 months.

If things go the way I would very much like them to go, hint hint...calling all guardian angels, I could have a new knee for Christmas and a bright future full of tennis, running and weight lifting ahead of me!!!

2 comments:

Mary J said...

What a pain to go through... Sorry to hear of this. As tough as you are I'm sure you'll be kicking that knee into submission soon enough, new ACL and all. Amazing what modern medicine can do!

Melanie said...

I'm so glad they figured out what was wrong! I hope the surgery and recovery go smoothly. What a Christmas present that would be!