Sunday, August 22, 2010

Week 1 of the Great Leg Recovery.....






Wow....wow......OW!!!

Those were the first vague thoughts floating through my head as I came out of anesthesia.

My blessed husband was there, holding my hand and watching me writhe in confusion and agony....blessed...blessed Guy. It was so comforting to have him there.

It took forever for me to clear my head because the pain meds they pumped into me when I was awake enough to tell them.....this HURTS LIKE CRAZY!!!

Quick..haha..trip to the potty to see if the pipes would start working and they wouldn't cooperate. WE eventually had to cathe me which was a special treat.

the rest of the first day was a blur of getting used to the pain, the movement restriction and being totally groggy.

Day 2

Still not very hungry and definitely woozy whenever I tried taking a potty break. I had a good friend babysitting me that day....yeah Donna!!....while Guy had some business meetings to attend. He was home soon enough.

Now this was the first day of using the leg extension machine. My goal was to use it for 8 hours a day and work my way up from 40 degree angle up to 90 before my post op appointment. I feel like an astronaut strapped into this thing. The water pump is forcing ice water up around my knee and the machine is gently moving my leg all day long.

Day 3

Guy was home with me this time and it was another day of Pain meds...nap...potty break....re-boot the ice in the cooler....lather...rinse....repeat. The pain was still surprising but manageable.

Day 4

Mommy comes to visit and baby me! she had great fun finding high fiber stuff for me to eat. I taught her how to get started on Facebook...AND how to download her pictures onto her laptop. She was even kind enough to rub lotion on my crusty feet!

Day 5

More of the same. By this time I had gotten used to what to expect. My range of motion was increasing right on schedule and it was obvious that I was needing two naps a day. WHat???? that hasn't happened since I was an infant but it is sure necessary now.

Day 6

Mom took part of the day to go see the boys with GUy. She was a witness to their destruction of 6 orders of fries and 2 double doubles. I was glad she went. It makes such a difference for me when people show an interest in my boys.

Day 7

Sunday and the last day for Mom's visit.

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Glad to hear you're doing well. When I saw that orange cleaner stain on your skin it reminded me of all my c-sections. :) (orange cleaner - don't I sound smart?!)

Heal up leg!!!