Wow. Wow. Wow. We just made it home from our first whole family road trip in... three years? I can't remember the last time it happened. I am, however, acutely aware of why we haven't tried this for so long.
Wait!!! I need to preface this post with a disclaimer. This isn't a rant or a complaint. I am trying to document what happened so that I can learn, reflect and consider what happened. You will certainly hear the good along with the difficult. It is simply necessary for me to share how this whole event unfolded.
We began this trip with the best of intentions. Anyone who has typical children knows the isolation that comes with having autie siblings. Depending on behaviors, you have to give up on a lot of activities or you have to divide up the family and participate in pieces. One parent stays home or you hire a sitter and just go as the "typical" family members.
And even when you take the chance to go out, you can't help but have your heart strings seriously "twanged" when you see all the typical families just doing what is expected.
We headed out to my parents' home and stayed there for a couple days with my other siblings and their little ones. It was a humdinger of a reunion! Our intent was to give out typical one a taste of a real Christmas with family.
Our boy had the time of his life and I am really glad that we took the trip. For his sake.
As for my husband and myself it was rough. Let me first list the good things that happened.
1. Our new minivan was awesome. We only forgot the window locks once and so somewhere between Barstow and Baker there is a laminated photocopy of a Richard Scarry book on the freeway.
2. The food was amazing. Dang! My mom can cook. The boys managed to eat an impressive amount when I used Pop-Tarts as bait.
3. It was really great to see so many of my siblings and their kids. ( I have 6)
4. I LOVED seeing my boy happy and enjoying his cousins. They never stopped playing the whole time. He got tons of hugs from Grandma and Grandpa. All much needed.
5. The boys slept well! Once we upped Ty's Ambien to 10mg he did great. They didn't wake up in the middle of the night.
6. No streaking.
7. Ty only broke two ornaments.
8. Only one vomit incident.( No red slurpees for Ty again....EVER. Thank heavens for Scotchguarded couch cushions!)
9. The boys handled 48 hours pretty well.
10. I got to play a board game. (Check out Puerto Rico. I HIGHLY recommend it)
11. My father gave a really touching, spiritual message on Christmas that was just beautiful. I know my boy will remember it always.
12. I am insanely pleased that my siblings are taking such good care of their kids. Their little ones are happy, healthy and are enjoying life to the fullest. It is a relief to see that they aren't wasting a moment of their beautiful children. That is all I could want for them. To savor every moment.
As for the tough parts. I'm just going to save it for later. It is still pretty raw. I'm happy for the good things we got out of it.
Here is to another New Year.
No comments:
Post a Comment