Monday, June 6, 2011

summer renewal 2011.......

I collect notebooks. I LOVE buying them. I love picking them up and fantasizing about all the cool and profound things I could put in them. If I were an artistic person they would all be filled with doodles and photos. Don't EVEN get me near a "Moleskine" display...I will be lost in a trance for an hour.

I started buying cute ones when I started back to school a few years ago. I figured if I was going to sit in class....I must have a glittery notebook to write in. NEVER gave myself that luxury before so check out that amazing personal growth!

As I was cleaning up this morning I ran into one and just HAPPENED to flip it open to a page of notes. They were from an inspirational talk that I loved. The counsel was just perfect since it is officially the first day of Summer Vacation with DJ. (Last Friday did NOT count because I was running around with Tyler).

In our family meeting last night I couldn't write down the list of "important" activities fast enough. This checklist was going to be EPIC....EFFECTIVE....AND PROFOUND!! This was going to be the summer of TRANSFORMATION!!

(Even through this is technically our SECOND summer of our boys in placement, the first one doesn't count. We were far to sensitive and busy in mourning. It was a tough and difficult time that needed to be taken)

So back to the AMAZING TRANSFORMATION. I was geeked out with all the cool and productive things we could be doing in order to make ENORMOUS progress towards turning DJ into a man. Plus, I would have an extra pair of hands to make my work lighter....WINK!

Today started out pretty great and when the lull hit, I started to panic. I'm missing opportunities...stuff needs to get done......what can we do??!?!?!?!?!?!?!

and then I read it......."don't be in a hurry". (you can read the talk: HERE)

There were four things on that list.

1. Don't be in a hurry to forget the first commandment.....make time to worship every day. HE is the reason I am breathing in and out and enjoying what I have.

2. Don't be in a hurry to do it all yourself........seek the Lord's help.....which quite often means getting help from those around you....humble yourself.....be gentle and patient.


3. Don't be in a hurry to fill your days with BUSYNESS. There is an old saying that "Good Mormon" is a busy Mormon. Or as Mad-Eye Moody would say...."CONSTANT VIGILANCE! We need contemplation and renewal. We need to learn how to meditate and be still. (I have mastered the ability to be still for hours in front of a screen.....BUT.....that doesn't quite have the same effect).
Did you know that the Shakers stopped their work every day and went to their rooms for a 1/2 hour of meditation? (Those people were crazy productive AND understood how to be still).


4. Don't be in a hurry to be DONE. There is no evidence that God was EVER in a hurry. I really really like that.

I'm glad I picked up the notebook today. It just made the prospect of the weeks ahead of me that much more enjoyable. We will push ahead together with a purpose and NOT panic.

Happy Peaceful Summer everyone! Don't be in a hurry!!

1 comment:

The Johnson Jotter said...

Thank you so much, Danna. Just what I needed! I sure miss you and can so relate to your wisdom -- I'm currently re-reading Harry Potter, too!

Have a super summer!

Sammy