Wednesday, May 27, 2009

congratulations......it's a boy.....and a boy......and a boy........


There aren't a whole lot of genuine surprises for me anymore. In a way that is comforting because that also means there aren't a lot of things that can upset me either. I have an enormous amount of frustration tolerance,( aka...I have the patience of Ghandi now).

So, when something comes along and really is a surprise....it is a euphoric experience.

Take Monday, for instance.

Hubby and I roll up to the proposed group home residence for our appointment to meet the staff. We find the unexpected.

Immaculate home! Loving.....I mean totally great staff! A private bedroom for our boy.

We spent the next 2 and a half hours peeking in all the corners and drilling the staff for information. They, of course, did the same and in a matter of time we found ourselves in agreement. This....is the place.

No hinkey feelings or warnings in our guts. The staff learned about our journey and their eyes kept bugging out every time we added another layer of explanation of what we have been working on for the past 12 years.

That's pretty impressive considering the manager has worked for this company for 20 years. She has seen and heard it all but our story was a surprise. Not to mention the genuine concern they expressed throughout the whole meeting. People with beating hearts were going to be taking care of my boy.

Another unexpected twist was the discovery of how involved the families are with the three other boys who are living there. They are constantly in and out of the home. In my grief and horrified anticipation I hadn't even thought about the new roommates or their families for that matter.

As we left the house and drifted off to grab some lunch, I was could feel that I was completely transformed. I.....WAS.....THRILLED.

My boy is going to a situation filled with problem-solving adults with caring and loving attitudes. Nurse Ratchet was nowhere to be found. It wasn't a house full of scruffy, neglected kids drooling in the corner with impatient aides barking at them to shut up so they could hear Oprah.

And then....On top of all that..... our family will be expanding.

All along we have known that our kids wouldn't ever be married.(I've only got one shot at a daughter in law, and believe me...my expectations of her will be legend!)

But now I know. We will be a part of this new family of boys. We get to become a part of their families too. We get another network of parents who "know and relate". THAT is such a sweet feeling. Haven't had too many of them lately.

I am speechless with gratitude.

We aren't losing our boy.

We are getting three more.

3 comments:

karen said...

What wonderful news. I am so happy/relieved/excited that such a caring place exists and that Spence will have a safe place and you will have a bigger family who understand your experiences..answered prayers!

Holly said...

It certainly is a good feeling when you realize it's a good fit and people are there to actually help!

Melanie said...

It sounds wonderful Danna! I'm so happy for you guys!