Friday, May 29, 2009

monkey wrench.......

So much has happened in such a short time. The trick for me is to keep calming down when our plans hit speed bumps.

The details that are needing to be handled with this transition are starting to stagger me. It is so easy to lose my nerve and I find myself mindlessly shoving things in my mouth to quell my fears.

Stop that! Put the chocolate down and step away!!

Exhale

We have another scenario to deal with. Between getting our service provider vendorized with the new district.....not knowing IF they will get vendorized.....not knowing if our approval went through for a May 31st start date......not being able to have an IEP yet because he isn't yet enrolled in the district.....finding out that we WON'T, in fact, be able to continue our regular therapy hours like I was hoping........and finding out that unless Spence has a classroom to fall into for summer school......we will have to wait until the end of JULY to place him.

If none of that made sense.....tell me about it!

We went from totaly NIRVANA on Monday to anxious, whiny, worry wart at warp speed.
(It TOTALLY doesn't help at all the Spence has been shouting and protesting for the past 90 minutes with his therapists)

The good news is that his spot in the home is secure. It is a frigging miracle that he has it considering there are applicants that have been languishing on the wait-list for over a year.

The challenge is that we may have to put our anticipation and euphoria back up on the shelf for another 7 weeks.

But you know what?? I can do that. I've done it for 12 years. What's another month and a half?

In addition to all that frivolity I'm in the position of re-calibrating my expectations yet again.

Our fight has been to have Spence busy for 40 hours a week with people who know what they are doing. If we can't have therapy in his new home, what can we work out?
My new impressions are to consider that we are coming to the end of the line. Our behaviorists can work with the new staff and fade out their contact. We can keep them on in a consultative capacity even if it ends up requiring us to pay for it ourselves. We can really see how "portable" Spencer's skills have become with this new classroom.

I have to say that this transition is taking everything out of me. I am having to draw on all my reserves and skills to keep up and to keep pushing, calling, emailing, messaging, pushing and pushing and pushing. Every trick of the trade is coming out of my bag to pull of this coup.

I just need the universe to quit throwing out those wrenches!!!

*** Enjoy a short musical selection. Love the song and added it just because it has the words "monkey wrench" in it.

7 comments:

Holly said...

Having to wait an additional couple of weeks is not such a bad thing. I had to wait a year--and I thought, If I did this for 13 years, then another year is no big deal.. it was actually helpful to have that time accepting that she was going to an "away" school. And when we were accepted, it took an additional couple of weeks to get in the house.. Not sure about what you mean about therapy, I hope your new school has speech, ot, etc..?

Danna Banana said...

Spence gets some hours every week after school to work on self-help skills, play skills, learning how to do chores. The same service provider is the one that has been reintegrating him into public school. They know him inside and out and the best ways to handle his behaviors. They have been "training" his school staff to take over.

karen said...

Hang in there! Sounds like very tough and frustrating and nerveracking all at the same time....kind of like your life for the past 13 years....Take 'em to the mat!

mama edge said...

"... we may have to put our anticipation and euphoria back up on the shelf for another 7 weeks."
"

REFRAME: An extra seven weeks? Yay! That's seven more weeks to address all the details related to the transition.

Hope the extra time turns out to be a blessing.

- "Melvin"

Danna Banana said...

I agree. Time to breathe. Time to plan.
We will see. It still could go through for the 15th. I'll know more by Wednesday.

Deborah said...

you and your boys are in my thoughts and prayers.

love you

Annie Leavitt said...

i agree with holly and mama edge- take this time as an opportunity to accept and plan the transition and enjoy your spencer.
hugs and kisses.