Friday, January 4, 2019

11 months of work....

This post is about physical progress. My physical strength has been a project since I was a kid. In the course of trying to workout on my own and run without coaching, the strain and physicality of being a mom and the stress of poor food and self care I arrived in Columbus in bad shape. Not to mention the reconstructed ACL and the bursectomy surgeries I had 6 years ago.

I found a holistic gym in December and got to work. Three workouts a week was all I could do. Everything was modified to keep the hurty parts safe. I couldn't stop eating garbage but at least I was moving again. The gym required me to sign up for each class. Every class was in a group with multiple trainers making sure to poke and prod us into using meticulous form.

I knocked out three months of consistent attendance. The pain and weakness wasn't disappearing as fast as I would have liked, but it was still getting better.

April meant that I could participate in the Whole 30 experiment. Food demons vanquished. That is when the really good stuff started. For some reason when you remove chemicals and inflammatory foods from your diet...your pain improves. Huh. Duly noted.

Fast forward to June.

June I changed my membership to the all-you-can-eat level. Unlimited classes every week. It was more expensive but I had proven that I was ready to take it up another notch.

This was an interesting transition. It was about then that I started to find the little muscles inside that keep everything pinned together. My posture muscles were significantly stronger. My floppy stomach muscles tightened up on their own during the day and not just when I made it a point to flex. I discovered my permanent shrug. Not surprising that my neck and shoulder hurt like hell when my shoulders are kissing my ears all day. Hmmm..

Outside the scheduled classes, I found myself being drawn outside. Walking, biking, walking, exploring. Moving around became more of a natural event. I've never craved physical activity before.

Cue to the past two weeks. I commuted to the gym every day on my bike. I worked out every day. I biked over to campus and home again at the end of the day. I did it all and I don't feel overwhelmed, sick or ruined.

Just to be "safe", I skipped the cardio finisher a couple times because I knew I had a long day ahead of me.

But I am stronger now than ever. I don't know how it is working. The more I push...the stronger I get...the more stamina I have. It is soooo fascinating.

This level of fitness has always eluded me. I couldn't be more grateful for this gift. Maybe even a little scared to see how far I can go, cause I got some serious muscle. Things are kind of busting out all over.

In two weeks I'm finally taking advantage of some nutrition counseling. Next level stuff. You know....for athletes like me. Winky face.














No comments: