It may seem small potatoes to y'all but in these here parts...it was an epic adventure.
I'm leaving Macy's. The land of my opportunity for the last 3 years. Lemme tell you. Retail ain't for sissies. I built up my chops on begging people to open credit cards....agreeing with obviously delusional shoppers with serious makeup-dysmorphic disorder and schlepping thousands of pounds of allergy sparking cardboard boxes full of product, wasteful displays and non-recyclable collateral.
I have scraped pounds of dried boogers off the acres of tempting glass cases. Numberless are the times we cleaned up after kids who thought digging their fingers into the blushes and shadows was simple "fun-time" and not destruction of valuable product.
Even had the pleasure of discovering an abandoned blunt, (thats MARY-HUANA), in our pamphlet display.
Pink bathrobe lady, who shuffled around in the middle of the night on Black Friday, you can have the whole store to yourself. I know you only walked 100 years from your apartment across the street.
But I digress. There are so many stories that I can share. They will have to wait.
The whole point of this story is to say that I did something really scary and difficult and made it to the other side.
I've been recruited to learn how to sell financial services and that requires a license. 52 hours of class and a test where you must score above 60%. Piece of cake, right? I'm a smarty pants. I can learn stuff. The problem is that everything that I was trying to learn and understand had NO relationship to anything i knew. All brand new concepts.
I was as disoriented as anyone could ever be. I chose the online course because I had to work. My strategy was to outline and make flashcards for every chapter because I'm visual and tactile. When I write stuff down, it sticks better in my brain.
Problem was, there were 16 chapters and we were up against a deadline. At my pace, I was going to finish closer to Halloween.
So I sign up for the 2 day cram course. I called out from work....yes, that was naughty....but the course was in San Diego. Cram cram cram. Make some new friends and take the test on Wednesday.
No comments:
Post a Comment