Wednesday, July 29, 2009

one sweet change......

I've been listening to my little Sliimy clip every day this week. It's infectious. Do my little booty bump in time to the beat intermittently throughout the day.

Was sitting here thinking about anything that I find pleasant right now. What is something really good in my life.

One bit of sweet satisfaction is that I'm not chasing my little bean down off our backyard hill anymore.

He is no longer stripping down to his naughty bits, playing --ahem-- fireman, breaking sprinkler heads or balancing precariously on top of tree stakes.

Even though the neighbors had given up on trying to report us to the police or CPS for these frequent exhibitions, I felt their judgement every time he started climbing that hill. Up on top he was clearly visible by at least eight of the nearby backyards.

The dread is gone. Ty doesn't feel compelled in the LEAST to climb the hill and so I'm catching myself exhaling more and more because of it.

I wonder if any of the neighbors have noticed the change. I probably won't ever hear from them. this is California after all. We don't see or speak to our neighbors. Lovely town.

2 comments:

Holly said...

I have the same kind of neighborhood.. neighbors. It's Massachusetts (hell did I spell that right) anyway, I will try not to say they suck, but what more can I say.

it's nice when you first notice positive changes... i know the feeling all too well, it's a little celebration that no one else can understand.

And I love how you are focusing on the good things, you can get so caught up in the bad too often!!

mama edge said...

Couldn't have been a better time for me to read this post. Yesterday, Taz was having a tantrum, so I took him for a de-escalation walk. (Brilliant, no? No.) I said "HI" to a neighbor who was outside enjoying the summer sun, and Taz took that as me trying to embarrass him, so he decided to embarrass me by giving the neighbor the finger.

I was mortified.

BUT... I have wonderful neighbors, three with special-needs kids, two teachers, a cop, a firefighter, a Buddhist priest, and -- as I learned yesterday afternoon -- a speech therapist.

She said to me, "I work with kids on the spectrum all the time. I get it."

I'm still mortified, but also very grateful.