Thursday, March 31, 2011

Team.......TYLER......


Tyler's annual IEP was on March 1. It was a tri-annual too. (That is where the school Psych tests him to make sure he still has autism and can stay in special ed) I was on pins and needles just waiting for the verdict! NO seriously...I used to sit in my IEP's when the boys were younger anticipating them finding a flaw in their responses and decide that the kids couldn't get anymore therapy. My weird brain.

But back to the meeting. The details are getting fuzzy since it has been a month already, but it was too hard to write about it. It went well....it went really well. and I guess it is hard to talk about it because he is doing so much better. the classroom is fantastic...the right amount of structure, the right amount of support.

Everything is stable at his home with the staff. Our visits are regular.
It is working for him. For ANYONE who has ever been in an IEP you know how good it is to hear that your kiddo met 90% of their goals. That means your kid is winning. WINNING! (thank you Charlie) We set up his next round of goals, we handled support issues and transitioning to summer school and on to high school. We collaborated, we all brought valid points and ideas to the table. And between the three staff, his regional center case worker, me, the school psych, his teacher and the administrator....we did it.

Last but certainly not least, we ended on time. WINNING!
The aftermath of a meeting like that is that you come away feeling good. Good. That is a far cry from the crappy meetings where you feel like the bottom of a smelly shoe.

(Actually, I have posted in the past that I had to bribe myself with the promise of buying myself something to soothe my jangling nerves.here)This time the meeting was reward enough. Look at me all grown up! I know...right??
My kiddo is thriving in his new environment. It has been a successful transition year for him. It stinks to high heaven that we couldn't have given him that here at home.

But, hey....winning is good.

Kudos and thanks to everyone who is on TEAM TYLER. you so seriously rock.

and most importantly kudos to Guy. The fearless leader of our little family. He is my greatest cheerleader through it all.

4 comments:

kristi said...

I had the dreaded IEP today. It was a little.................weird.

Pam Skoy said...

Awesome news Danna! I want to follow your blog, so I get notice when you update, but I can't figure out where to do that....hewlp. :) Pammy

Pam Skoy said...

Danna, Such great news! Awesome! How can I be a follower on your blog? Hewlp me! Love, Pammy

Melanie said...

Yeah Danna!! That's wonderful news!! So happy for you all.

High school next year?! Really?! I can't believe it.