Now that we have decided about making the change....sending our boys to a more structured environment, the reality sets in.
How are we going to figure this one out? If I thought trying to get decent services from an un-prepared school district was tough, try finding a safe, structured place to live.
Thankfully we have many secret weapons. One is our regional center case worker.
Our caseworker has been with us for six years. She has seen the boys through thick and thin and seen them at their best and their worst. Through the worst of it she took the bull by the horns and fought for respite and social rec services.
She is already on the case and moving up the food chain.
While she is working on that end, my head is spinning.
Our options are private schools that cost up to 50K a year per child or group homes managed and approved by the state.
Since we aren't swimming in ducats, the latter is our first option.
The trouble is that even though you find a home that would work, you have to use whatever schools that are available in that area. The schools and the regional centers are completely separate. We cannot insist on picking a school district and then demand a home near it.
I can already tell that this is going to be buckets of fun!!
I am actually looking forward to figuring out this new system. Step by step I'm going to document this journey.
1 comment:
Your attitude is inspiring. I look forward to witnessing this amazing journey.
Post a Comment