Putting a question out there in the universe.
How do you find balance?
It appears to me that parents dealing with disabilities have their own little culture. We are all in trenches fighting for services that either need to be invented or aren't yet available in their area.
We go to classes to learn how to advocate: (I recommend Partners in Policymaking).
We commiserate and constantly problem solve. We try to get tougher and stronger and more and more resilient in order to tolerate our challenges.
As a parent I would cluck my tongue if I saw children who's parents never had the chops/know-how/idea of how to advocate. I have had been disdainful of teachers and administrators who just didn't "get" it.
Now I am seeing how much of that judgment I have learned to heap on myself.
Not good. Not good at all.
I'm wondering how the culture of disability has shaped all that.
We are all about pushing/asking/demanding/judging the value of programs/judging ability/judging appropriateness/judging placement.
I think it can't help but become automatic and eventually turn on ourselves.
No comments:
Post a Comment