Monday, June 22, 2009

one week out........

So we got home from our trip yesterday. (BTW...you CANNOT imagine how different it was to travel knowing that I had only one autistic child needing a sitter at home.)
We had a relaxing Sunday and Guy ran over to see Spence in the evening.

Guy said that they had fun running around to different parks and enjoying some time together. The tough part was when Guy was dropping him off and the visit was over, but not for the reason you might think.

The boys have been conditioned over time that when you are in the car with Daddy, there is always a trip to In-N-Out burger or Wendy's. Problem was that Guy had forgotten his wallet. No money = no burger. Spence quickly figured out that he wasn't getting the goodies and started to cry.

Props to Guy for figuring out what to do. He quickly asked Spence if he wanted to take a shower and replaced the prospect of puddles of ketchup and fries with fun water play and possible free access to liquid shampoo. Crisis averted and Guy snuck out unnoticed.

I happened to stop by the house this morning to drop off some extra night-time pull ups while Spence was still at his first day of school. I couldn't' help going into his room and saw all of his stuff just where we had left it. (couldn't help myself and I had to smell his favorite furry blanket on his bed).

The staff are all amazed at his performance. It is as if he has been living there for years.

Whew!!!! What a huge relief. He is fine.

I am still wobbling around and feeling the tugs on my heart. (lather, rinse, and repeat....right Mara??)

Being at home is exponentially easier. (You would NOT believe how much cleaner my home is).
It is quiet except for Tyler's chirping and howls but NOTHING compared to the constant stereophonic cacophony of TWO autistic warblers.

I am stunned, floored, flabbergasted, and horrified by the lowered stress level. What have i been doing???? How did I survive all this????
NOW I understand that phrase...there but for the grace of God go I.
I am so grateful that we were able to survive.
Here's to another good week.

3 comments:

Annie Leavitt said...

that's better than good news. that's great!

mama edge said...

I was so enthralled by what you wrote today that I actually started applauding at the end of the post. Could you hear me?

Standing O, Danna! Bravissimo!Encore!

karen said...

Wonderful that the transition is going well for Spencer, what a relief. Reading your blogs I know your heart is smashed and hurting, but also yearning for rest and peace. Take a deep breath, exhale, repeat. Sending love and hugs.